Monday, June 21, 2010

Isolation: Day 1

Looks like I have the whole blog to myself for most of the next 2 days! Well, other than [h.e.n] who seems to have gone into a spring/summer hibertation. Anyways...
















Ummm... Yeah, that's what I feel like right now. That whole canvas of blank space. Or more like, that's how I which I felt. The bliss of the unfeeling...

The bus started it's engine. I stood beside Shirley who was sitting on his bike, as we both waved blindly through the dark tinted windows towards the pairs of silhouettes spaced out across the vehicle. I didn't want them to leave. I didn't want to know what the day would be like. As the door started to close, I had a mad urge to dive through the crack, just like I would in a volleyball keep-up game. And then, with a snap, the gap closed up. The noise of the engine picked up, and the wheels started to turn. I begged silently for the bus to stay back, but no amount of willpower would have tethered that machine.

It was hard not to dread what lay close ahead. The prospect of being jumbled with another class was somber, especially after learning from Al that we were with 8F. As a member of 8J, Al's class was paired with 8G, and he didn't attempt to hide his satisfaction as we saw an 8G boy holding a bag with an Xbox 360 inside it.

"Good morning Ms. C!" I said, walking into the music room in the morning. I handed her the attendance which was filled with copies of our schedule for the thirteen people from 8F, as well as their class list. After getting everyone organized, Ms. C decided that it would be most appropriate to throw on a movie, since she couldn't exactly teach a lesson. The title she selected was Rossini's Ghost, from the Composer's Specials series that made the other two movies we'd been watching: Bach's Fight for Freedom, and Liszt's Rhapsody, but the advantage this time was that we didn't have to do worksheets. Small comfort, compared to the fact that most of 8h had already seen this one before. However, I should not have been complaining, for the worst had yet to come.

"Good morning, 8H!" Came the voice of Mrs. P.

"Good morning, Mrs. P." We echoed, much less enthusiastically.

"Okay, everyone from both classes, sit where you normally do when I have you, and maybe there won't be a conflict." Surprisingly, there were only two people displaced from their spots. Mrs. P then proceeded to arrange everyone so that each 8Her was next to an 8Fer. "Now, everyone, I want you to remember to ALWAYS walk with your math textbooks for the next three days. We will be having math for almost every core and science period, and maybe I'll throw in some DPA, if I feel like it..." There was a groan from everyone, but all hope was not yet lost. An 8F girl raised her hand.

"We've already handed our books back to Mr. B."

"Really?" asked a shocked Mrs. P. Everyone nodded. Then a few people gave lines like, "So... we shouldn't have math anymore, right?"

"All right then, how many people are in this room?" She counted about 17. "That's perfect then, everyone in my class has a book, and since you're each sitting beside someone from the other class, you can share! Ed, you'll be in a group of three. 8H, go to your lockers to get your textbooks." A unanimous groan from us. Then, more horrible than one could possibly imagine after we returned:

"Okay, so everyone flip to page 19. Now, starting from here, I want you to work in pairs on every single Mental Math, Curious Math, and Math Game in the book. No skipping!" She smiled. "Now, how many people are depressed?" Everyone raised their hands. "Good." And so the torture began...

The bell was about to ring for period three. I watched the red second hand tick past the six on the clock. So close...

"Right, so you guys have French next. But Mrs. H is away today, so I'm covering for her."

@!#$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @$%$##$!!!! #$%^%#!!!!!!!!! #$%$#^$%^#$%!!!!!!!!!
bewi=-+gouh*f@q3(4807hhH98WH#$%fhH9Hh9hnbweiuhnf$#%^IEFh23hdfrhoeu2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"But don't worry. You won't be doing math anymore. She left you two double sided pages for review with passe compose with avoir, etre, and reflexive verbs."

1234567890-=!@$%&*()_+!!!!!!!

*She also gave us a sample of some banana bread that she made, except this time it was more like bread pudding, and she added chocolate chips. After the bell rang, we went to Mr. S for geography. We took up our geo projects (design a city) and had some free time, then had lunch.

Back to triple core, we continued the onslaught of math, but thankfully, halfway through period seven she switched to English where we did two activities from her book. She also gave back some math and science tests, which I did terribly on. For one thing, out of everyone who was there, I got the lowest science test mark. Yes, JQ scored higher than I did on a science test. By more than one mark. During the last period, we had our daily physical activity, and that was extra fun because we set up the volleyball nets, and set the ball properly 2/2 times, and I even spiked properly 2/2 times, even after colliding in mid-air with someone was was trying to spike the same set.

Back in the classroom for homeroom, we were treated to two more of Mrs. P's delicious cakes. This time, she had a golden almond cake with what looked like a coarse confectioner's sugar icing (which I found to be even better than the classic chocolate/vanilla ones she usually made), and a cinnamon nutmeg bread pudding with raisins, and a limited edition caramelized coconut icing. By limited edition, I mean that she isn't planning on making that cake with coconut icing agin, due to the very time draining process. Unfortunately, the icing was the best part, and everyone agreed that it was awesome. Too bad the rest of 8H won't get to try it!

*Note: At this point, Blogger cut off everything else I wrote after I posted (damn you), so I'm just summarizing what you should have seen.

5 comments:

  1. Day 2: All I did was stay home playing video games.

    Day 3: We had a bake sale today, and so four of us spent the whole morning baking, and the afternoon counting money, and we also had DPA. We got more tests back...

    62.5%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Justin! Yes, yes, we're back. Must talk to you later. Btw, how was erm, 2? XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay playing video games as a hobby ftw :D hope you made the most outta ur time with Mrs. P? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2? I saw him, like 2 times each day. He was... fine?

    Made the most out of my time? What is that supposed to mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. seems like you had a WONDERFUL time at school... it just proves more why you should've come to Ottawa with us! >:]

    ReplyDelete