I've been checking this page almost everyday for a week now, and no one has been posting. So, since I feel a bit sorry for anyone who still bothers to check this place (like me), here's a Half-SC for you guys to read while you wait - hopefully not for long - for the rest of the giftees to post.
I should explain this one a bit. It is definitely not a Short Clip, but since all my writing has been those so far, this one will be an Honorary SC, thus the name Half. This piece actually evolved from a drastically different idea; however I am more happy with this outcome. It was actually written yesterday, but I didn't write it for this. Then today it felt so lonely on here I couldn't stand it any longer... so here you go:
It was just a tree.
The only particular characteristic about this tree was that it had low-hanging branches, comfortable to sit on. Other than that, it was just a tree.
But it was at the tree where I first met You, the first day of summer four years ago. You were running a hand through your jet black hair, a huge grin on your face. I asked You why you were so happy. And that was how I got to know You.
It was beneath that tree where we spent our summer, shared our secrets, and confided in each other.
You held my hand while I leaned into your shoulder, tears streaming down my face, telling You about the fights.
I listened carefully when You babbled out everything you planned for your future – You had med school or policing on your mind.
The time my best friend started calling me a freak, You wrapped your arms around me and whispered comforting words into my ear.
Sometimes You brought your guitar, and I watched admiringly as You strummed a few chords, singing along softly.
We actually had a lot in common, You and I. But while my life seemed to be a never-ending wreck, You were the one with the dreams and a seemingly bright future ahead. As the summer went on though, You helped me become like You – for the first time, I started to believe in a possible happy ending too.
…Until the day mom left. She left without a word and never looked back. The next day I ran to the tree, desperately searching for You…but You had disappeared too. For the next six months I returned to that tree everyday; You never showed up. With Your disappearance, a part of me disappeared too. When You left, My hopes and dreams vanished with You.
When I think back on it now, it was more than a tree; it was our tree. I will never forget the short time we spent together that summer four years ago. But like my mom, You vanished without a trace, and neither of you have been back since.
Funny thing is though… when I think back to that summer, I can still picture a spitting image of You: You looked exactly like me.
There you go. Hope you liked it!
I like. Where the heck you do you get all these ideas? :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, I know. I can never think of anything that actually binds the whole prose together. Where the heck do you draw your deepness from? And I agree with the high school thing. Well, at least we'd better beat August. That was SHAMEFUL. But I will assume that just means everyone is well rested for some more POSTING. And someone needs to wake h.e.n. up from her spring/summer hibernation.
ReplyDeleteYES, SHAMEFUL I TELL YOU! And "deepness"? Not really. More like really random ideas that literally spring out of nowhere. But thanks both of you. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, where IS h.e.n.? Hopefully Cyber isn't holding her hostage.
ReplyDelete