Try to read this at a normal speaking speed.
***
Hey.
...What?
Just... Thought I'd say hi.
...Come in, then.
I haven't been here for a while. So, uh, how's everything been?
...Don't look at me like that!
Sorry.
... I'm fine.
You're okay? Completely normal?
Why wouldn't I be?
Well, it's only been a week since... it happened.
What, thought I'd be bawling my eyes out over something as small as that?
No, but... Didn't want you to suffer in silence.
And wallow around in self-pity? Please. Been there, done that. Don't need you to tell me not to. I'm capable of taking care of myself.
... That's what you said last time.
Well, this is another chance, isn't it? A chance for me to not screw up and screw over.
I hope you mean it this time. The doctor said that... people who try it once are much more likely to try it again, and they push further each time. You've done so twice. I don't want to see it finally happen.
...Whatever.
A lot has... passed by... this year. It must have been pretty tough for you. I guess I should have tried to help. It was stupid of me to have gone on that trip to Japan--
Look, I don't want to talk about this. I don't care about whatever you did or didn't do.
Hey, you aren't getting rid of me that easily!
Is that the only reason you came here? I shouldn't have let you in.
Come on! This is something we need to talk about. As your brother, I'm responsible for--
You should consider giving up after failing to fulfill that role three times. Maybe then I'd be able to live peacefully, without having to rely on someone.
...I'm sorry.
Right. So there's the door. Use it.
I... Nevermind.
...
Jenny, I'm sure he loved you very much.
Oh, of course. Naturally, all true loves have a third party involved. Just shut up, okay? I don't need your empty words.
You don't know the whole story.
Whole story? He picked up another girl at work; banged her up pretty good for a few days. Tried to drive back, drunk, from her place the day I found out, and hit a truck. Died. The end. What more could there be?
That's not what really happened.
Excuse me?
It's... Not much better, but... He never was in a relationship with her. He made her tell you that so you wouldn't know the truth. That's not what happened.
Wha-What are you talking about?
You should know. You deserve to. Lance was... He was depressed, apparently. That woman he was with that day... Their relationship was complicated. You say you've never heard of her, but... he knew her from a long time ago. I guess they stopped talking after a while.
...
That crash was no accident. There were explosives in his car. He drove straight at the truck. But he didn't want you to know. He said he couldn't have you blaming yourself over him. So he "forced" you to hate him. He forced his friend to tell a lie. But she couldn't keep it. Told me the truth the next day. He killed himself.
...
I'm sorry, Jen.
I didn't know...
Don't cry. It's alright.
I didn't know...!
It wasn't your fault. She told me that he repeated it over and over: "It's not Jen's fault. Make sure that's clear if anyone finds out." There isn't anything you could have done.
...Lance always said... He wanted to end with a bang. I would just laugh whenever he did. I... never thought... And all I did was... Oh my god... I laughed at him! I laughed at him as he died! I laughed at him as he killed himself.
No, you didn't! Don't think of it that way.
Why am I such a bad person?
You're not--
Why does everyone have to die on me?
No, Jen, it's not like that!
As she cried, shaking with grief in her brother's arms, she recalled the last two lines of a poem she'd found in the recycling, written to Lance by the friend. She whispered them aloud.
If this world makes you crazy and you've taken all you can bear,
You call me up, because you know I'll be there.
***
The point of this study was to convey all actions, tones, and emotions strictly through dialogue. I've been wanting to try it out for a long time. So how did it go? Could you conjure a vivid picture? Tell exactly how they spoke?
Um. Kind of...
ReplyDeletePredicted the ending a bit, but... I liked it overall.
Sigh. Spring is TOTALLY the most depressing time of year. Every single blog post and book I've read this week ended with some kind of death. =.=
Oh, btw, in the second last line, it's 'bear,' right? Unless there's some other meaning to deliberately spelling it 'bare.' Just thought I'd let you know.
The ending? You mean what actually happened to Lance?
ReplyDeleteSpring? Depressing? Though I do agree. I just didn't think anyone else would.
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. It's been changed.