I attended the Ontario University Fair, along with Halalcohol, this past Sunday at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. I'm sure some of you went as well, or have at least heard of it. If not, the event is already over, but you can find more information on their website.
I'll be honest. Up until now, post-secondary education seemed very far away. Something I knew I would eventually have to think about, but I was happy to put it in the back of my mind for the moment. And while I can't say going to the fair has made me any more sure about the direction in which I wish to take my future, it's certainly made me start thinking about it earnest.
The fair only included universities from Ontario, yet I still felt overwhelmed at the amount of information available. Plus, the fair was geared towards students who knew what programs and universities they were interested in, people who had specific questions about the campuses or classes. At every booth there were alumni, teachers, and students milling about talking about their experiences and their school, and asking the ever-present question, "What program are you interested in?" Alas, I went in with next to no idea of what I wanted to do, past that it should be something math and science-y.
In the end, I returned home with probably 20 kg of material (viewbooks, pamphlets, program booklets, a million pens, and one USB) and only a slightly better idea of where I want to go. But it's better nonetheless, and this time next year, I'm going to walk into that fair, and when someone asks me "So what programs are you interested in?" I'll be able to match them with a question of my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment