Saturday, November 20, 2010

Just Don't

Just don't
     sweat it.
It's a lot of work
     to pick up the phone and call sometimes.
It takes too much time
     to think up what to say.

Just don't
    forget it.
Pretend you're doing fine
    because you probably are.
Ignore the stack of letters
    on your kitchen table.

Just don't
    cry over it.
Tears aren't meant to
    be wasted sparingly.
Use that energy
    and make yourself a sandwich.

Just don't
    lose it.
Ignorance is bliss
    not knowing is the new black.
It would be nice
    if it had never happened.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I think I get the message. For some reason, the poem sounds like a song. As in, it sounds like there should be a tune to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took reading it over a few times, but I think I understand it as well. Nice, especially "wasted sparingly" and "not knowing is the new black". Except I disagree with the latter. But that's OK - great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I had to read over it multiple times as well. But what's cool is that every time I read it, I realized something new. So I got more and more of it. And poems are supposed to do that. Hannah, (or anyone else in 8H) remember how we spent, like, a period analyzing that poem outside?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that poem was really interesting. One of the better English lessons we had. But I can't remember what it was about anymore.

    ReplyDelete