Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Part 2: Stop

This is in continuation of Somersaults. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meet me outside the main entrance. 8pm. Before I go.


The note had been left outside his dorm door, a ripped piece of yellowed parchment. It wasn’t signed, but the loopy, elegant cursive made clear instantly who it was from. Her.

For awhile after the gift incident, he had wondered what she’d thought of it. Was it too much? Too classy? The thoughts had swarmed his head constantly; during class seated two spots to the left and one behind her, lying awake in his bed at night. There was no indication she’d received it at all – the dark, cold stares and harsh sarcasm wars continued. It left him in a bitter mood the days leading up to Christmas. Yet still each time he saw her, his heart threatened to jump out of his chest.

And now, finally, was his chance. Perhaps she’d chosen this moment simply to make him wait. Maybe she had finally remembered the note tied to the box. Whatever the reason though, he knew he had to go. Instinct told him it was his only chance.
***
The neon glow of his watch read 8:02. She still hadn’t come. It’s against her nature to be late, he thought. In fact, she’s usually at least ten minutes early. He waited anxiously for her arrival, wondering what he was going to say when she finally came.

At 8:26, he got angry. I’ve been stood up. How dare she? No one stood up to Draco Malfoy. The hope that had flickered on inside him since the discovery of the note slowly drifted away with each passing second.

By 8:41 his mood had taken a turn for the worse. Enraged and shivering from the snow that had begun to fall, he trudged back inside to the Great Hall and up the stairs. Suddenly, he paused, hearing voices coming out from one of the unused classrooms.

“…Be fair. You liked me perfectly fine in fourth year!”
That was two years ago! We’ve both changed since then. I don’t have the same feelings for you anymore.
“At least give me a chance! I’ll be good for you.”
Ron, I see no point in continuing this argument. It’ll end up hurting both of us.
“Trust me! I know you inside out. Who could be more perfect for you? Just let me give it a shot. I’ll prove my worth.”
…Fine, you know what? I’ll go out with you, and we’ll see how it goes. I’ll give you a chance. Are you happy now?
“The most, Hermione. I promise you I’ll be good to you forever.”

As soon as he heard those words, his heart stopped.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two comments/notes:
1. Did you notice the Marianas Trench reference? Haha. I was actually thinking about them when I wrote that line.
2. Tomorrow is December 1st! Thus I probably won't update for awhile... you'll see why soon. :)


7 comments:

  1. Ouch, Hermione. Rejecting Malfoy for WEASLEY? I never thought you would go back to Somersaults. I would never be able to find the patience to do something like that.

    BTW, why is he wearing an electric watch?

    There was a Marianas Trench reference? I obviously didn't get it, then.

    And a mysterious disappearance? Hmmm... Are you going somewhere? Or do you have huge summatives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I KNOW RIGHT? I can't believe Hermione ditched Malfoy for Weasely. But it's all part of making the following parts more interesting.

    I never have the patience for continuing stories either, but the idea just popped into my head yesterday, so I decided to continue.

    2. It's an analog watch with a neon light. Or it can be an electric watch. It doesn't really matter.

    3. "... I promise you I’ll be GOOD TO YOU forever." <--- Good to You is a Marianas Trench song. A good Marianas Trench song, as a matter of fact.

    4. No and no. (Obviously it's not summatives. Would I have put a :) if it was?) As I said, you'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that song, love this story. Though yours and Grace's fanfic obsessions are borderline unnatural. xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I assure you, it is perfectly in control. *nods very fast* DRAMIONE FTW xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, Dramione is horrible. The only good that came out of this story is that Hermione ditched Malfoy for somebody else xD I don't care who. And really, this is going to turn into a fanfic site soon if you two don't stop. Or maybe I should write some more posts xP That too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly. You haven't posted in awhile. And no, Dramione is definitely not horrible. AND HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU LIKE RON?! D:<

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I see. So the drama is going to escalate.

    *Pssst*... It can't be electric! Nothing electric works at Hogwarts. So it's... a magically glowing analog watch. :P

    Oh! That name seems familiar. I probably heard the song, like... once.

    Ah, I do see now. I thought by not updating, you meant you weren't going to post.

    I agree with Singyu's first and second last, and last sentences.

    Ditto to Hannah's emphasis.

    ReplyDelete