Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sounds of Toronto

If you happen to be bored Thursday afternoon, why not drop by Massey Hall at 7:00PM? A very special and famous concert is about to take place: Sounds of Toronto! Yeah, neither have I [ever heard of it]. (I know that's what you were thinking...) But seriously. You should drop by. Massey's right beside Eaton's Centre (does that require a definite preposition?). For those of you who have never heard of this school-famous event, Sounds of TO is a giant concert with performers from all over the city. Combined bands, strings, orchestras, and choirs come together to put on a grand show. Tickets are only $10! Buy them at the door!

Okay, I'll stop advertising now. The reason why I brought this is is because I'm playing a part in it (notice the clever use of the word "play"? Cause I'm literally "playing a part"? [Yes, I know I'm just so clever.]) along with nine other Garneau students (including Eric!). DMCI wasn't invited, which is strange because we seem to have the worst music program in the TDSB; terrible compared to said cyber arts school. Maybe we plucked some strings. (Get it? Plucked some strings? Like pulling-- Nevermind.)

Like I said, this annual concert features the performers from some of the top music programs. For example, we get to hear the combined choir (Earl Haig, Bethune, Forest Hill, Harbord) sing O Canada as the intro, along with the combined band (AY Jackson, Central Tech, East York, Garneau, L'Amoreaux, Riverdale, et. al). And then the Earl Haig singers will perform one or more lovely pieces followed by combined band again. Other features include Woburn's concert band, Bethune's choir, Northern's orchestra, Earl Haig's jazz, Central Tech's steel pans, Etobicoke School of the Art's (ESA) chamber choir, and combined strings (ESA, Bethune, Forest Hill, George Harvey, Martingrove, Macdonald, et. al)

I have a feeling this concert will actually be worth the price. I've only heard us, the conbined band play, but I'm very excited to announce that the ten trumpet players actually sound like ONE! (I know, right?) And the trombones are excellent. Actually, the whole brass section is really good. And they have a VIBRAPHONE. An ELECTRONIC VIBRAPHONE which sounds epic for the four bars you can actually hear it in. From the list of school participating, combined band seems to have the weakest group (maybe not, I'm not knowledgeable about music programs), and if we're good enough for me to say that we're actually good, I can't imagine what the other performances will be like. Of course, those of you at DMCI probably won't be nearly as impressed since your music program is so much better than ours, but it should still be worth it.

Hope you spontaneously decide to come! (I'll be in the front row on stage. Not because I'm awesome, but because there's only one other bass clarinet. And we were last to be called in the seating plan so we got shoved on at the end of an unfilled row.)

2 comments:

  1. Woah, you guys are SO LUCKY. An opportunity like that is definitely unique. Oh, and for the record, Marc Garneau can't possibly have the worst music program... because that place (shamefully) belongs to VPCI (aka our non-existent orchestra).

    So, in conclusion, I envy you. I'd also really like to go watch, but chances are that's not happening. Which really sucks. But good luck, and do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have an orchestra either. Well, we do, but it's run by one grade 10 and there are... 10 people?

    We kind of failed. The brass was too slow at the beginning and everyone was pretty off in general. And the trumpets sounded weird. Oh well. I think O Canada was fine.

    My favourite performance was by the Earl Haig singers. (Felix was there. I don't think he saw me.) They were REALLY good, and the song choice really stood out from the crowd. I really wish I could hear them again. If you want to hear us playing "Spring", here's a link to a video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1TN2drXl9c

    ReplyDelete