Monday, April 4, 2011

When It Rains

A pair of purple and yellow boots glared at me from where I sat. I had to squint to see them properly, for their shiny surfaces reflected the sunlight directly into my eyes. It was blinding.

Purple and yellow—
the last I saw of her.

I needed to look up. Waves of curly brown hair cascaded down a little girl’s back. Two curious green eyes stared back into mine. I gasped.

Emerald green,
with a hint of olive near the edges—
the precise colour of her eyes.

The girl’s mouth formed a perfect O. She hesitated, as if wanting to speak, but then turned frantically, as if searching for someone.

“Momma, momma!”
her screams echoed, haunting, far into the night.

“Come on, honey, we’ve got to get going!” I looked up to see a short, plump lady heading back for the girl. She still stood, frozen in place. This was my chance — I had to say something.

The woman was now ushering the girl away. Suddenly, the word flew from my mouth, unprecedented.

“Anna?”

The girl turned back. Recognition flickered for a moment, but was extinguished as the lady turned to her, took her hand, and led her away.

I watched her retreating figure, waddling along in her shiny rain boots, as she faded into the horizon.

Purple and yellow—
the last I saw of her.

***
Yes, I was in the mood for something sad. And yes, Halalcohol, I am still working on "solving the mystery". Haven't come up with much though. Oh, and yes, I am procrastinating on my French homework. I'm not a big fan of writing short stories - poetry ftw - but I thought I'd give this a try. Something sad for all you optimists out there. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, this seemed just like an SC (BTW, what happened to those?).

    You know how a lot of prose is really abstract and makes you want to keep reading to figure out what it really means? This was the exact opposite. Which is just as great. I really liked how I understood it immediately, so I anticipated the rest to find out what would happen. And because I have terrible inference skills, I found this to be better than something abstract. (Except abstract art. Abstract art is awesome.)

    Also interesting is that there isn't that much description, but what you did include was just enough to let me fill in the blanks and set the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The feedback is awesome; I wish more people would read and/or comment. I was a bit afraid that by leaving out so much, people would not get the context of the story... but I'm glad you did.

    As for the SC's... I'm not quite sure what happened to them. Most likely I forgot about them during that long period of time where I had so much homework I didn't have time to do much else. Though you're right, this does seem like one. Maybe I'll get back to writing them again some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNOW! *Glares at the contributers list*

    Yes, you must. SCs are fun to read.

    ReplyDelete