Without opening my eyes, I lift my face to the sky - or at least, to the awning over my head that is currently sheltering me from the rain.
Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap...
A shiver runs down my spine as I inhale, but not from the cold. The damp smell fills my nose and lungs, and I exhale. Slow and measured. The air is soothing and invigorating at the same time.
Breathe in, breathe out. Breath in, breath out...
I do not have to open my eyes to imagine the grey colour of the sky; the rain dropping with a plop! into puddles filled with ripples; the droplets falling from the awning.
Drop, drop, drop, drop, drop...
I know I would be, without a doubt, under a spell - if I were watching. Instead, I let the damp air and pitter-pattering sounds wash over me, eyes still closed.
Splat!
With a start, I open my eyes, not noticing I'd fallen asleep. My outstretched arm is soaked. Individual beads of water run down towards my fingers. I raise a hand, about to shake it off - and stop. For a moment, I see the world through a raindrop, watch as it gathers enough mass to fall, stare though the lens of a water droplet.
I am completely mesmerized.
No comments:
Post a Comment