With summer comes many things that I don't like, such as heat, and burning sun (normal sun is fine, just not when you can feel it in 2 seconds), and loud bird chirps in the morning, and sweating while trying to fall asleep, and swimming, and no school (sometimes no school is fine, but it does get kind of depressing after a while). Summer also seems to be the peak of activity for these little flying insects that I can't classify. They live in the soil of my house plants, and they get really annoying, especially when they all seem to feel the urge to die on the wood floor beside the computer. The ants are back too, and they've broken through all the holes I taped up last year, and they seem to have found an alternative entrance in as well, because I can't locate where they come from anymore. So I just let them crawl around, usually in the kitchen and den.
With all this potential food lying around, it's no suprise that spiders have set up their webs. They're all clustered in the den where the plants and insects are, and I can easily spot them because there's always a pile of dead carcasses below their homes. The largest one I've seen is about the size of my thumb (including it's legs, so the abdomen is less than the diameter of a hole punch), and it's actually mildly interesting to watch, because it actually moves, unlike the other spider statues. One day, I was lying on this matress-like thing on the ground beside it's web, and there was this ant crawling by me. I reached out my hand and then flicked the ant away. And with my coincidentially good aim, it landed right on a thread, where it started to struggle. The spider promptly scrambled towards the ant, and started to mummify it. That was pretty cool. I watched the whole process, including what I assume was the injection of digestive enzymes, and the sucking out of the food. So now that's how I get rid of ants. It might be mean to them, but I'm helping faciltate the growth of arachnids. So TOO BAD!
Ah. That's why I live in an apartment xP
ReplyDeleteThose tiny little UFI's (unidentified flying insect - sorry, couldn't resist the extremely bad pun-ish thing. See what I did there?) are probably fruit flies. I have a lot of them too.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure fruit flies and spiders live in apartments, too. Maybe not ants.
There is an ant invasion in my house - it's terrible! So then we bought some of that ant pesticide (anticide?), except it's not really working.
ReplyDeleteWell, I've barely seen any flies this year, so I don't know if my pitcher plant is doing its job or not, but the first time I saw one would be yesterday when it flew by my desk. I followed its trail flew the air, and it arubtly flew into a lightbulb and sizzled to its own death. So the flies aren't much of a problem in my house.
ReplyDeleteWhat the? What happened to the previous 2 comments? Anyways, I'll just go with the fruit fly hypothesis, then. But I always thought fruit flies were extremely small. As in barely visible.
ReplyDelete