***
“Yes, add some soap here… now scrub! Yes, be sure to scrub the entire plate, honey. That’s how it’ll all get cleaned. Great job – you’ve just washed your first plate!” She could hardly reach over the countertop and into the sink, and already she had to wash the dishes. Then again, mother did break her back, and dad…***
She turned the hot water tap all the way. Scalding water rushed out, burning her hands as she reached for a plate. Plate, bowl, spoon. Plate, bowl, spoon. It was the only way to drown out the screaming in the background.***
“Now that we are a two-person household, it is time to establish some responsibilities. We can alternate between doing dishes each week.” She opened her mouth to argue, but her mom’s tired face forced it closed immediately. Instead, she nodded, silent. Her mother had been a happy woman once… now her lips pulled down slightly at the corners. Helping out with chores was the least she could do.***
"Don’t forget to eat your vegetables! Oh, and get your eight hours of sleep each night – you won’t regret it.”“Mom… I’ll be fine!”
“Oh sweetheart,” her mom sobbed into her shoulder, “My daughter’s all grown up now! What am I going to do without you?”
It hurt her to leave her mother alone in the house while she went off, a thousand miles away. Her mom had sacrificed everything for her. And now, she was doing it again.
She walked through the house one the last time. Wandering into the kitchen, she saw the once-beautiful, metallic sink that was now chipped and rusty. With a start, she realized that now, she was the taller one.
Oh! This reminds me of a movie I saw recently. I assume that the interpretation of what happened to the father is up to the reader?
ReplyDeleteAnd this SC tied up July's posts with May's!
ReplyDeleteWhat movie was it? And yes, what happened to the dad was meant to be interpretive.
ReplyDeleteAlso, do you notice how February had 44 posts? Hopefully we can catch up to that another month. xD
44 posts is more than 1 per day. That's a LOT of posts.
ReplyDeleteWatch as we beat the record anyways, just to prove we could do it. (And we can!)
We can, but only if all 8 of us try. Which means some reminding to certain members...
ReplyDeleteThe movie (I don't know what it's called) was made as a tribute to the earthquake in China in 1976(?), and it's in Chinese. But it had English subtitles, so I could understand it. :D
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteSigh, please try to remember that I'm paranoid.
ReplyDeleteWhat Singyu wrote:
You won't need to remind me, Halalcohol, I keep the Blogger page open 24/7 and I check up on it every few hours, I just don't have any good ideas, and I haven't for a really long time. My design blog is much easier to maintain, too. Suggestions, perhaps?
Ok, then. Would you like a challenge too?
OH, I see what you did there. And nah, maybe once I think up of something.
ReplyDelete