Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Stereoscopic Images

This is a pretty quick post, and I actually should be working on Science Fair right now, but I just saw this (while procrastinating on science fair) and it was too awesome not to post.

Maybe you guys have heard of sterescopic images before? Well, basically, they're two images that, when overlapped, form a 3-d image (this is an extremely crude "definition" that I'm coming up with myself. You can probably get a better idea yourself).

I found a nice pinecone picture that's pretty detailed. But simple. There's an explanation on how do it at the bottom of that page, but there's a better set of instructions here. Basically, it tells you to hold out your finger in front of you, halfway between the screen and your eyes, and focus on that. You move your finger around a little until you can see, behind it, 3 fuzzy images, one which should be right behind your finger. Now, this is the tricky part, where you have to focus on the middle image without uncrossing your eyes. Don't try to move your eyes apart, but rather, let your eyes focus. Try it a few times. You might get it.

I only stumbled across a stereo, and it took me a while to get the whole cross your eyes thing, but once you get it (it's kind of hard to help you here, but keep trying) it looks really cool. If I had more time, I would do this all the time.

Although, come to think of it, it's probably not that good for your eyes.... Oh well. >.> [>.<]

Try it out and tell me if you can see the awesome 3-D ness? And if you can, isn't it so cool?!!
I've seen these kinds of the things at the science centre, but they have eye holes (kind of like binoculars) so it's a lot easier. And this, you can do on your computer screen.

~Yaning


You have no idea how excited I was when I first got the eye-crossing thingy. New favourite way to waste time.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, I've seen these before! You know what else is cool? "Magic-eye" pictures! I'm VERY VERY VERY good at looking at them, and my dad has told me before that they're actually GOOD for you eyes, because you're relaxing and defocussing them. Betcha didn't know that, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I got the pinecone in about twelve seconds on my first try. After practicing like three more times, I switched to a painting on the second link, and it came really quickly.

    Personally, I find the finger suggestion stupid, since I can do it perfectly fine without that. Probably due to the fact that I used to cross my eyes all the time and I practiced controling the focus. (Have you noticed? I'm actually cross eyed. Mildly.) The hardest part is sharpening the image, then keeping the focus as you look around it. Whenever I move my eyes, it starts to get blurry again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooh.
    My eyes feel funny from staring at the computer screen, but they're so cool. >: )

    They're so addictive! It took me a while to get it, and I did it almost by accident, but once you get it, you can't stop. > :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. I saw this one that said "Stop wasting time."
    "Get a life."

    How true. I love it when you stare at it long enough that you can move your eyes around and it still looks 3-D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried the videos? They're just like 3-D TV. Here's a link for one.

    http://www.3dwonderstuff.com/gallery_pages/gallery_animations.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is irritating
    i cannot see the image.
    i've tried with/without the finger. multiple times.
    stupid eyes. i can't imagine on what i must be missing out on
    D:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read somewhere that 1 in 20 people won't ever be able to see the image. Sucks to be you! >:)

    In the meantime, for those who CAN see them, rock on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's one of the things that, once you know how to do it, it becomes a lot easier. Maybe the next I see you guys I'll help you with it? It's probably more helpful if you get tips that include hand gestures than instructions on a screen.

    ReplyDelete