3:15 pm
I wait for you by the side of the road
Rain or shine, snow or storm.
No shelter from the harsh winds
Yet I still wait;
You promised you will come.
Popping a strawberry Starburst in my mouth
Taking out the daily newspaper
I lean against a sign post
Wondering when you will grace me with your appearance.
3:40 pm
Starburst long dissolved
Horoscope read
Sudoku and crossword complete
You’ve still not arrived.
The clouds roll past, as if in a hurry
I am in a hurry too;
But I must rely on you.
Digging through my backpack for
That last piece of gum I swear I still have
Pulling out a novel for English class
I remain by the side of the road.
4:10 pm
Gum chewed until stiff and flavourless
One more chapter until the story ends
I wonder where you are.
Hurry, I urge
Without you I won’t go home.
I am always the one waiting;
You are always the one late.
Still, I faithfully stand.
Tapping my feet
Frozen fingers reach for my earphones
Counting the number of blue cars that pass by
As I continue to linger on the side of the road.
4:35 pm
Feet sore from tapping
6 songs,
27 blue cars passed
You are still a no-show;
I am growing impatient.
I want to leave without you
But inside I know there is no choice but to stay.
I run out of things to pass the time with.
4:45 pm
I finally catch a glimpse of you
An hour and half late.
I am angry;
You made me wait
Stand in the cold for all this time
Torturing me knowing I will not leave.
I swear to give you a piece of my mind.
But as I step into the warm air
Sink into a red seat
Knowing I will be home soon
All other thoughts falter.
I’ll forgive you this time
But please
...can you not be late tomorrow?
...Is this a slur at the TTC? Cause if it is, GOOD JOB HANNAH! Anyways, I can totally relate to this, and I'm not referring to buses... Or waiting in that sense.
ReplyDeleteI don't wear a watch, so I can never tell how long I wait for buses. Usually (especially if it's cold,) I go into this kind of numb, kind of bored state.
ReplyDeleteLike a vegetable.
I imagine vegetables must feel very bored, if they were sentient parts of plants.
I'm not sure where that analogy came from, because I just read over that sentence again, and it does not look very sane.
This is probably the result of reading about Astrometry and Eccentric Jupiter's for the whole day.
hehe..."wondering when you will GRACE me with your appearance..."
ReplyDeleteYeah, I noticed that too. ;) Don't you feel so special?
ReplyDeleteOooh, I saw that too (2)! Only I thought it was a coincidence. Actually, I was also thinking about vegetables, so scratch that. It's probably not a very reliable train of thought.
ReplyDeleteAnd since people have commented within the last 5 minutes, here is a plug for the 3rd chapter of Elephants, which is still waiting for comments. (ha. Waiting.) So go comment on it!
I already did. Twice. So TWO bad. Unless someone else comments again with something easily "replyable", I'm not doing so.
ReplyDeleteLOL Grace. It was a coincidence, actually. And it didn't actually take that long for the bus to come, but usually I do have to wait almost half an hour.
ReplyDeleteAlso, it was meant to seem like I was waiting for a person at first, and then you find out it's actually the bus at the end.
Then it worked. Cause at first, I thought it was a person special to them. And then I thought it was a parent driving their child home. And then I thought about the TTC. Then I remembered that their seats were red. Then I commented.
ReplyDeleteHaha. I especially like that last part. :D
ReplyDelete