Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Getting Busy...

I feel very annoyed right now. Annoyed that my music and French teachers are telling me about these final summatives that we're going to be getting, but not actually giving them out. I have nothing to do right now. But I know that, possibly as soon as the end of this week, I won't have time to breathe. Because the week after is when everything will be due. A half hour presentation for science (including class activity and worksheet that we create), a composition and performance for music (which we know we're getting, but haven't gotten yet, so I can't start early because I don't know the requirements), and a French oral presentation which I am absolutely fuming about. Here's why:

Task: Create a 15 sentence skit.

Yeah, that's basically it. It can be about anything, and you can be whatever you want, and pretend your audience is whatever you want.

DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE ME TO THINK OF A TOPIC?

And of course, there's got to be a thick layer of frosting on the cake. We can only work on this in class. We have three periods. This must be memorized. We must write and memorize within three periods. Three periods. Think of ideas. Write. Memorize. Present. Fail.

Well, okay fine, so it's not that bad. We're allowed to have cue cards, but we get higher marks for more memorization. And we technically are allowed to work on it at home, though strictly only for typing it up the day before presentations. And here is where we get to the next infuriating part. The presentations are spread out over four days. only on the day before we present, does everyone have access to their script. This means that people presenting on the first day will have only one night to memorize, while those that present on the last day get four. Isn't that so fair? I think I'll just do this summative now, before it's actually assigned, and then pretend to work on it at school.

Apart from that, there are also the exams to study for. And I have no idea:
- What to study;
- How to study;
- How long to study;
- When to study;
- When to start studying;
- WTF I'm supposed to do for geography.

Honestly, geography has been quite a bit of BS. Unless the world is full of fill-in-the-blanks scenarios where the deep graphic understanding of one of Canada's parks is the secret of life, I didn't learn much. The book itself is actually pretty good. It teaches many concepts. However, repeatedly filling out work packages that all look exactly the same for each chapter is not the most motivating way to learn. Especially when you get the hang of subconsciously copying down a definition while scanning the pages for the next one. And when you want to tear up a few pages because you have a question such as "The Hudson bay Lowlands are _______."

We've done so many random things in geo that I honestly don't know what to study. I think I'll just read the whole textbook and hope for the best, because there is no way I'm reviewing those papers.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think i'm going to study very intensively for science.

    As for geography, I'm probably spend the 3 (and 1/2) + weekends before my geo final memorizing the textbook cover to cover.

    And then, I'll be able to rattle off the exact area and average winter temperatures for all of the ecozones. As well the population of all our provinces and territories, as well as their major industries, and their GDP's, and the average size of their provincial bird, and the number of rivers and lakes they have, and the number of cities they have [excluding Calgary]that begin with C and end with y.

    Yeah.

    I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woooow. IKR? My geography teacher is worse. This week, I think she ran out of lesson plans for us, so we did JIGSAW learning (sound familiar?) where we fill in blanks from a photocopied page from teh textbook which she has whited-out random words from. -.-"

    ReplyDelete