Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mixer Madness

Ahem.

A few days ago, I was baking cake, because my sister's been nagging me to. You see, I usually bake a cake at least once a month, but things got busy, and I got lazy, therefore, there were no cakes for a long time. After all the chattering and pestering, I finally agreed to bake one.

I took out all the bowls, ingredients, measuring cups and spoons, and the mixer and slowly commenced with measuring. I decided to improvise and fluff the eggs before mixing them in to create a softer, chiffon texture. After I finished beating them to a desired consistency, I set aside my mixer and stirred in the milk, oil, vanilla sugar, and rum extract [:3]. Dry ingredients, check. Wet ingredients, check. I slowly sifted the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, mixing all the while.

It wasn't long until I noticed something wrong. There was a burning smell radiating from somewhere in the kitchen. I checked the oven, toaster, microwave, and any other appliances that may be the source of it. Then, I realized that it was my mixer. The thing is, I didn't know that my mixer was too old to handle beating at maximum speed for too long. After the eggs, it just didn't have any more life in it, and the motor overheated.

Luckily, I had already finished mixing it halfway. I still had to hand stir the rest like a madman, but at least it was doable. To make up for the lack of air being incorporated, I added some baking powder so that the cake would still rise normally.

So, I finished everything and baked it for 40 minutes. The rise was fine, and the texture was okay. Thank goodness.

Unfortunately the kitchen smelled like smoke for an hour >.>"

4 comments:

  1. nah not really. i'm getting a new mixer :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, you should write about your own kitchen nightmares. I'm sure that would make everyone else feel much better! :D

    ReplyDelete