Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fringe

In the still of the night, she wakes up, and walks over to her vanity table. She sits down, picks up a hairbrush, and begins to run it through her hair.
~
Fringe; age 5. A straight cut right across, right at her eyebrows. Mother said it looked adorable with her bob cut, and annoying little Jack wouldn't pull her pigtails.

Braided bun; age 8. With a sparkly purple hairnet, she was ready to pirouette the night away as a sugar plum fairy on center stage.

Ponytail; age 12. Because she decided that maybe she wanted her pigtails pulled by a certain Jack Nichols.

Odango; age 14. The year she agreed with all her new friends that anime and Sailor Moon were cool, and that cosplay was awesome.

Dyed blue; age 17. Stacey had convinced her to do it, and she had gotten grounded for 5 months. It was only temporary, and lasted about as long as her rebellious phase.

French twist; age 18. Secured in place with a crystal ruby hairpin that matched her dress perfectly, she accepted the Prom Queen tiara with hair that was all the girls' envy. Not to mention a date that was all the girls' envy, a certain basketball captain [that may have gotten his coordination skills early on from all the practice he had pulling a certain girl's pigtails].

Fringe; age 25. She'd gotten it cut for the interview, the one that she didn't make the day she fainted in the taxi.
~
The hairbrush takes with it clumps of wispy dark hair. She begins to comb more frantically, ripping the brush through her hair, until there is nothing left to comb. She has no more tears left to cry, and her anguished sobs are silent to the world.
~
Fringe; age 29. That one night she was 25, she had almost lost hope. In the waiting room during one visit to the doctor, a girl not older than 5, who had a fringe that looked adorable with a bob cut, smiled and said, "Mommy says I'm sick, and to make me better, the doctors have to make my hair fall out. But it's okay, when I get better, I'm allowed to choose whatever haircut I want!"

She decided to fight. Today, she still undergoes treatment. While her hair grows back, she chooses many different wigs in different hairstyles to wear everyday. Her favourite one is the fringe.



OH MY GOSH. Finally. I've been trying to edit and post this since yesterday, and i figured out that the Zematta assistant gadget was causing the problem. I removed it. :)

Anyways, I'm not that great at writing any kind of fiction, and this post was a bit cheesy... but I tried. It kind of seems like one of those "Wings of Hope" entries. Oh well. Please tell me what you think, I'll take any criticism and try to make my writing better next time (if there's a next time).

5 comments:

  1. I like the list format for this. It's a good way to jump through time, and I don't remember ever seeing one like this on GU. Or maybe I just have bad memory.

    Did you actually know all these hairstyle names, or did you search them up? And yes, it does sound a bit like a Wings of Hope entry, but its a lot more creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I liked this story. Maybe if the end seemed less predictable, but sometimes cheesy stories aren't all that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input, guys! I actually knew the hairstyle names. ;D From reading all those seventeen mags.

    @Singyu, I was actually thinking of ending the story after the second italicized section, but I'm a stickler for happy endings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Didn't you tell me you enjoyed movies with sad endings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice story! I really like the format of it, though it kinda reminded me of WoH as well. Still, really interesting, especially how it's based on the hair types.

    ReplyDelete