Sunday, October 3, 2010

Halloween Haunt

Let me start off on a tangent, so it won't interrupt the post:

Art is possibly
THE most time consuming subject.
Like. EVER.

I've probably spent more than 10 hours on my assignment it this weekend. I would have spent more if I wasn't so short on time. With that out of the way, let me actually begin this post.

I'm sorry I couldn't go to Nuit Blanche - I already had a visit to the Halloween Haunt at Canada's Wonderland scheduled.

The most awesome thing about the Halloween Haunt were the rides - or, to be more specific, the lack of wait times for the rides. Things you'd normally have to wait +1 hour for had next to no lines. I've only been to Wonderland once before, and that was before the Behemoth was built, so lucky me got to ride twice. And I would have gone more, but we wanted to visit other places, too.

Most of the Halloween attractions were walkthroughs that had the same idea - scare people by creating a dark and sinister atmosphere and startle them from behind corners. With loud noises. So, after the first few (or, just the first one) you start to get used to being screamed at. What I liked was the attention to detail. They even had the scents right. Like, in this pirate themed one, it had a briny kind of smell, and in the barn yard one, it smelled like hay. And there we these "3D" ones that required glasses, except we went in without them, and it looked just as... trippy. They had ultraviolet lights and neon paint on top of black paint, which made everything look like they were coming right off the walls. By the end, my eyes were properly screwed up and all the lines and shapes just popped right off the walls. Oh, and the strobe lights didn't help. At. All.

In addition to the mazes was a live show. It was alright. Could have been more rehearsed. The acrobatics (or gymnastics?) was pretty impressive, and the singing was pretty good. I guess. The humor was... Well, let's just say that it was for people like Luxiang and Tom and Alex W. Oh, with the occasional Justin Bieber and American stereotypes thrown in. Ha, and a few "eye" puns. 'Cause there was this girl with an eyepatch. [Hehehe... Really takes the "Eye see what you did there" to a new level.]

Oh, and @ Grace, there were a lot of shinies. I don't know why they all go to places like Wonderland and not to school, but they were there.

~ Yaning

4 comments:

  1. Wait, WHEN was this? And why wasn't I invited? :O
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I'm suffering from lack of prolonged exposure to shinies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Geez, Grace. I thought you said there were some at VP. And are you more upset that you didn't see shinies than you are that you didn't get to go to the Halloween Haunt thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The halloween haunt thingy was a CGI thing. CGI being my mom's old company, which she no longer works at, but has a friend who does, so we got the tickets off of her. It worked out well, because they only had two extra tickets, but my mom was in China at the time (still is - comes back the 9th.) so only my dad and I went.

    And I'm willing to bet that there are less shinies at MGCI than at VP. (Ew. VPSS. Whenever I see that, I have an urge to say "viperssss" with a hiss. [Don't. Ask.])

    ReplyDelete