Sunday, December 19, 2010

Epilogue: Debonair Dance

She hurried along the sidewalk, intent on getting home. It was close to midnight already, and somehow, even London managed to seem asleep. It was Christmas Eve; she was walking home from a Holiday party with her Muggle friends. Forgetting to bring a change of shoes however, Hermione stumbled along in her high heels.

Snow fell gently, blanketing roads and turning houses into gingerbread illusions. I’m tired and cold. I still have to prepare food for tomorrow’s Christmas party at the Burrow. And buy Christmas gifts for everyone. She groaned audibly at the reminder. That can wait until tomorrow.

Deep within her thoughts, she failed to look up and, upon turning a corner, ran smack into someone. “Omigosh I’m so s–” Looking up, she saw a shock of blonde hair, and realized who it was.

The horror from the crash turned into a look of surprise. “Malfoy? What are you doing wandering the streets at this time of night?”

“The same can be asked of you.”

“Walking home from a Christmas party with some friends. Muggle friends,” she clarified when his eyebrows rose. “…Well, I probably should get going. It was nice seeing y–”

“Granger, come have a coffee with me. You sure look like you can use one.”

Malfoy, out of all people, was making such an offer to her? Maybe she was so tired she was having delusions. “But I really have to–”

“It won’t take long. Besides, I insist.”

“I don’t have time for t–” But even as she spoke, she was being directed into a nearby cafĂ©.

“Goodness gracious,” she grumbled, “why do you always get your way?”

He smirked. “Because I’m a Malfoy.”

***
“So Granger, how’s the Golden Trio doing these days?” Draco asked over a steaming cup of latte.

“Fine, thank you.” She replied politely. “Harry and Ron have both become Aurors.”

“Ha! With brains like his, the Weasel actually got a job?” He smirked, and ignoring the glare from Hermione, continued. “And yourself?”

Suddenly, a voice filled the entire room. “Ladies and gentlemen, it is time for our Christmas Eve Midnight Dance!” Soft music began to play in the overhead speakers and all around, Muggle couples were beginning to get up and dance. Hermione and Draco looked around awkwardly.

Hermione quickly answered. “Head of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.”

Figures, Draco thought to himself. “Yes, you always did like those house elves.”

“And you, Malfoy? I haven’t seen you around these days.” Hermione asked.

“You better hope not. I became a Healer at St. Mungo’s – I create potions.”

“Yes… That was always the one subject you beat me at,” Hermione laughed a little to herself. “Though, I always wondered whether or not it was because Snape fancied you a little.”

Even Draco had to flash a smile at the thought. “One subject and you’re still putting it against me ten years later? That’s so like you.”

“Draco.” He glanced up at her, startled at hearing his first name. Her voice had suddenly changed tone; the atmosphere became sombre. “I… I just want to know, why did you save us that day at your Manor? You didn’t have to. I saw it in your eyes – you knew it was me.”

So she knew, he thought. “Why’d you refuse to dance with me at the Yule Ball in fourth year?” He countered.

Why’d he bring tha–? But glancing down, Hermione realized she’d chosen a pale, pink gown for the night. Oh. “You first,” she said.

“Dammit Granger, do you really think I would’ve let my aunt murder you that day? I’m not as cold-hearted as I tend to lead on. I didn’t want to be part of the Dark Lord’s plans, but my dad forced me! I had no choice but to do what Voldemort wanted of me, but I still tried to do what I could. Besides I–” Crapcrapcrap. He’d said too much. I can’t, won’t have her find out.

But she’d caught on. “Besides what? What were you going to say?” Her voice was soft.

He quickly changed the subject. “Answer my question first.”

“I wanted to dance with you, Draco. I really did.” There was his first name again. “But I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.”

“Why?” The question fell, broken, from his lips.

“If I’d danced with you, it would’ve gone against everything I’d known! Don’t you see, Draco? I’ve been a coward all this time. Too scared to go against what I was supposed to, meant to do. I did only what people expected of me, but in the process, lost myself.” She looked at him, tears in her eyes as she realized she’d lied, hidden the truth from herself all along.

“You’re not the only one.” He spoke quietly, looking into her eyes. “If I’d been braver, I would’ve tried harder.”

“Harder? To do what?”

“Dammit Hermione!” He seemed to like using that word a lot. “I’ve liked you from fourth year! You’ve rejected me multiple times, and still I would’ve killed myself to save your life. Yet I taunted you, called you every single degrading name I could think of, and hurt you because I couldn’t bear to admit it to my friends, my family, anyone! Now I realize I was just scared. Too scared to actually do anything.”

A huge, uncomfortable silence followed. Hermione wondered what she was going to say. Draco wondered whether she was ever going to respond.

“Draco, will you dance with me?” She asked suddenly. To herself: This is going against anything and everything I’ve ever believed in.

Incredulous, he looked up at her; she smiled faintly. Without saying a word he got up, and held out his hand.

They danced and waltzed far into the night, content and happy. All the waiting has paid off, the two thought together. It’s better late than never.

5 comments:

  1. GAHHHHHHH. Again with the "never" theme. -.-"

    GJ! It's finally done! I liked it ;)... but really. Stop with the "now or nevers," and "better late than nevers." It's driving me insane! D;

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I did that partially JUST to tick you off. >:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured. -ehhh-

    Btw, where's everyone lately? They've been telling US to post, but they're nowhere to be found. WHAT HYPOCRITES. >.>

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was smiling the whole time I read this. It was pretty weird, but I was definitely hooked on the plot. I would have liked for everything to happen slower, but you're not writing a book. So good job!

    ReplyDelete