However, I was at Writer's Club the other day, when the leader came up with a great idea: flip through the dictionary, stop at a random page, and then at a random word. Then, write a short piece using that word. The word I got was sequence. Here's what came out of it - my first piece of 2011. Hope you like!
***
A sideways glance:A Sequence of Events
quick, out of the corner of the eyes. look away before she notices.
A brush of the shoulders:
in a crowded hall, right before the beginning of lunch. avoid eye contact.
A locker note:
snuck in during a “washroom break”. a series of numbers, a touch of mystery.
A text message [reply]:
“who are you?” “across the room.”
A shy smile:
looking right at her [for the first time]. returned [hopefully].
A simple plan:
fun movie. dinner afterwards – your treat.
A hand on the waist:
hesitant but calm. walk her to class.
A phone call [11:11pm]:
“make a wish. sweet dreams.”
A first kiss:
hips meshed, chests pressed together. pure bliss.
A final dance:
moving to a slow song under the soft, warm glow of the spotlight. a handsome king, a stunning queen for a night.
A goodbye [?]:
for you to decide. where to go from here?
after all, it is only a sequence of events, formed in the subconscious recesses of your head.
A good dream.
Oh, you're in writer's club? See, we don't have a writer's club, or anything resembling it. =.=
ReplyDeleteI like this prompt idea. Or like, the idea of prompts in general. Maybe I should try them out?
Oh, and I like your story. It's very... You.
I also snickered at "a brush of the shoulders"
Because it rang a bell.
Hm. What bell?
ReplyDeleteHannah. Ehhhhhhhhhhh. :P
ReplyDeleteCan't blame you for that, though. Hm, I should write my piece with my prompt, and post it on here too.
Yeah, it is very Hannah. I like how the line about the dance rhymes. And the king/queen thing came out as a really smooth metaphor.
ReplyDeleteThat's so not fair. We don't get a writing club. The closest thing is linguistics. Bleh.