Saturday, June 30, 2012

I'm on a Train

And I finally have Wi-Fi. After months hours of waiting on the other train for the connectivity to pick up, we finally transferred trains in Montréal and are now on our way to Québec City. I was going to keep updating this while I was here, but I don't think that's going to work out, due to spotty Wi-Fi, so I'm just going to keep it really short.

First.
I did not know anyone in the exchange prior to today because I did not attend any of the pre-departure meetings. I was in Geneva. So it was pretty awkward at first because I kind of just sat around the waiting area talking to no one.

I saw all these people talking and milling about between the chairs, and after absentmindedly tuning in to some conversations, I noticed someone familiar talking quite animatedly across the room from me.

It was someone I hadn't spoken to in a couple of years. We went to school in Grades 4-6, but she moved to Richmond Hill, and we lost contact. What a coincidence that we were participating in the same program! For those of you who went to Terry Fox, you probably know who I'm talking about. We were both really surprised. Like really surprised. Isn't it so strange how this kind of thing happens?

After getting on the train, though, I started talking to the people in my exchange group, including a girl from Leaside who gave me chocolate. She's very interested in languages and politics and history. All things I enjoy.

Second.
They actually had food for us, which I was very surprised about. I thought they only had dinner, but they had lunch too (sandwiches from Tim Hortons and chips), plus a drink, which was very nice. Even if they were pretty similar to airplane fare.

Third.
I do not have a third point. I thought I had one. I spent a lot of time looking at the scenery and improving my eyesight, which is the result of looking at the colour green for a long time. According to my neighbour's dad, it's good for your vision. I also spent a lot of time reminding myself of vB's talks on weather and being reminded of Algonquin -- quick, what's that tree? -- even though I wasn't BTM.

I'll keep updating  (maybe once per day?) once I arrive. Tell me anything you want to know about?

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea trains provided food. I want food! I want awesome Tim Hortons train food! I don't even get food on my plane! D:

    Actually though, I'm pretty nervous about leaving Toronto now. Mainly because I have to give a pre-prepared presentation at Lakehead and I don't know when I'm supposed to give it. And we know how awful my presentations are.

    We're going on a camping trip up at Lakehead, too and were told to bring our sleeping bags. Huge, huge, huge Algonquin flashback. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, really? I thought she hated French. I also thought she moved to Markham. And yeah, that's cool how you get actual food. Guess they weren't as unprepared as you expected. Have fun there! I agree that you should keep updating while you're there. I'm guessing you've already starting working. How is it? Actually, you should post about it instead.

    ReplyDelete