Saturday, October 30, 2010

-_#:(:\

Have I ever told you about my scars?
I scar really easily, FYI. Even very shallow scratches turn into faint scars, which is really weird, because I heal pretty quickly and I don't really bruise. And I don't usually pick at scabs.
Do you have any scars? Any that you're proud of? Any that you hate because they're really ugly?

I like my scars. More than I should, probably. My parents say that I should take more care of myself, because I'll regret them later on.

So, no, I do not have the luxury of hindsight (which is 20/20), but none of my scars hold any regret as of yet.

Plus, it's not like my injuries were casualties of carelessness or pure stupidity. [Well, maybe one of them. But it probably seemed like a good idea at the time in my two year old brain. I can pass it off as curiosity.] Often, they're connected to doing something I love, something fun and interesting, something that I'd already accepted the risks for.

:(: Left Hand; between the thumb and forefinger, two dots on either side of a crescent - looks like a happy face from one angle and an unhappy face from another; outside the kitchen of my house in China.

\ Right Knee; right below the kneecap, about an inch long; the Park at the Bridge.

- Right Palm; in the middle, right above my wrist; only a bit of it is visible - the rest is hard to see; the Bridge in winter.

# Right Knee; off to the side, where the joint bends; multiple thin scratches; Lake Superior Provincial Park, while hiking.

_ Left Cheek; along the jaw, almost completely faded; K.M.'s Marshmallow Party (fire + food + fun.)

It's weird, because scars are often very much a part of who a person is, but so many people try to hide them. I'll bet there are people who still haven't noticed the :(: scar on my hand, who've known me for a long time. Maybe they've noticed but didn't ask. Perhaps they're one of those people who think of scars are reminders of past mistakes.

As for me? I'll continue to wear them proudly, without 20/20 foresight.

~Yaning

4 comments:

  1. Coolios. I was wondering when you'd talk about your scars. I love the idea of the title matching up with the symbols of the scars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really good. A message was actually put into what would otherwise have been a fun but pointless article. And I agree with Grace, though I have no idea how to pronounce that. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nonsense. It's "black-eye-unhappy-face-hmph," or, if you squint very, very hard, "Lilifs" backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YESS. The one at KM's birthday had nothing to do with me. At all. Just putting it out there xP

    ReplyDelete