Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Elephants: Chapter 1 - an introduction

He ran his hand along the pitted concrete, the engraved edge of an L pressing into the tips of his fingers.

It had rained earlier, and the walls were slightly damp. He could feel moisture on his fingers. He took in a deep breath of post-rain air, and for a moment, he forgot why he was standing outside the house.

***

The next morning, there was a paper-wrapped package on his coffee table. He searched for a note, but found none. Without shaking the box - he'd long since knew better - he weighed the box in one hand. Then he went to his computer and emailed 4 words.

He spend the rest of the day admiring the contents of the package, and

Object Number 4,206 now sat on the topmost shelf beside the east window in what used to be his bedroom.

7 comments:

  1. I don't really have a detailed outline for the rest of the chapters (I hesitate to call them that, because there's no plot), but I know what I want to include in the rest.

    If it doesn't make much sense - it's not supposed to.

    BTW, how do you guys picture the person this (story? short?)? Is he tall or short? Young or old? What does he look like? Voice? Job? Favourite colour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Really mysterious and interesting. Write a follow-up soon! I want to find out what happens.

    I picture the person as a tall, sort of nerdy-ish guy, who's an accountant something. Someone generally ordinary, but leaning a bit towards the "uber-smart nerd" side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome beginning. i love it. =)

    ...actually, I picture the him to be a mid-sized, somewhat muscular man, in a black suit sitting in-front of his high-end laptop. You wouldn't notice much about him if he were walking down the street except that he's well-dressed (=

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting feedback. : ) It's really neat (<-- yeah, I just used the word neat...) how different the views are from what I make him out to be. Probably also helps me write, since I'll know what you would and wouldn't expect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. Is this story going to be about a pack rat who hoards as much as you do, Yaning? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. So: nerdy, but ordinary accountant; buff, stylish guy; and pack rat.

    Hopefully, I'll get another "chapter" [like I said, this "story" is plotless, so it doesn't really have chapters. Or much of a story.] up by the weekend. >.>
    Soon as I sort through the sequence of "events."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't see how you people can visualize so clearly. All I saw when I read this was a super blurry dark spot in my mind that was represented by the word "man".

    I like the object number. It's a lot more mysterious than saying something vague, like the thousandth object,or something. Unless it's intended to be that way...?

    And BTW Yaning, you're last comment sounded very "sarcastic" cause you used so many "quotes". Just saying.

    ReplyDelete