Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Networking Part 2

The same bronze door handle was gleaming in front of her. She didn't want to go in, but she couldn't leave either. Desperately, she filtered the thoughts in her head. Name? Come on! I've never forgotten a name before!

Suddenly, the lights went out. The voices in the chamber were silenced. She couldn't see anything. Urgent whispers filled the room, and she wondered what was happening. The door burst open and struck her side. She was almost knocked off of her feet as something went hurling by. She heard the stairwell exit open, and slowly close again. Was this part of the plan? She felt for the door handle and went back in. Her eyes starting to adjust, she spoke towards a shadow in front of her. "What happened?"

"No idea." The man's voice was fruity and he spoke with a slight accent, but she couldn't tell what it was. "I was going to the washroom, and the lights turned off. Then someone shoved me, and went through."

"Well, this is great. How are we supposed to do anything in the dark?" How am I supposed to find him in the dark? At least she now had an excuse. The lights flickered back on. She squinted from the intensity and looked around. Everyone was returning to their conversations, albeit a bit more flustered. She looked into the face of the man she had been talking to, and a connection formed. The description matched perfectly.

"Oh, I didn't get to introduce myself," she smiled sweetly. "I'm Anna Rightly and I work for The Timber Maniacs." She shook his hand, allowing hers to stay in his for just a bit too long.

"The Timber Maniacs? I've never heard of them."

"Oh, we're a new magazine. We publish for the small town of Timber. Mostly things about, like, travel and vacation, you know?" It was crucial that she flatter him. She handed him one of the business cards, presenting it formally with both hands. "And you?"

"Oh, my name's Darren, and I'm the creative director for Harlow Publishing."

"Really?! That's so hot. It's such a good company, don't you agree?" It was a complete lie; she'd never even heard of the publisher. Her eyes flashed him a big hug as she continued to woo the stranger.

"Yes, it's a very large firm. Well known in five countries."

Just then, her cellphone rang. She smiled artificially. "Excuse me for a moment." She thought she heard him utter something about the washroom, and she was so distracted with Rad's call that she barely noticed him leave. "Yeah?"

"You need to get out! Now!"

"What? Why?"

"Change of plans. The Eagles beat us to it. The lights went out, right?"

"Uh huh. What happened?"

"Turns out they knew we would be waiting for him today. They shut off the power supply and their agents grabbed the man and left. They know who you are. You must stop being Anna immediately. Withdraw and assemble at base by 22:00. Hurry!"

This made the woman blush furiously. She hadn't gotten the right man. "Wait, so they have him now?"

"Obviously. Just get the hell outta there!"

"Right." She walked out quickly, arriving at the elevator in seconds. Jamming furiously on the down button, she stared impatiently at the display. The lift was still on the fifth floor. Someone came walking briskly down the hallway. Her heart skipped a beat; there was nobody to witness what he might do to her. She continued staring at the closed doors, her hand on the hilt of her utility knife which was tucked into her pocket.

"Hey, you leaving so soon?" She turned around and was quite relieved to see the man she had thought was her target. But wait... maybe he was a body double, set up to eliminate her.

"Oh, yes. I've got to go meet some friends who are waiting downstairs." This excuse would hopefully drive him away.

"Alright then. Nice to meet you." He continued on his way back to the Memorial Chamber. The elevator grilles slid open, and she hurried in. Before they shut again, she caught sight of a tall man sprinting down the hall towards her. Too late... she thought, satisfied that something had finally gone right. She reached the ground floor and walked out of the hotel. She looked around for any taxis nearby, but none were in view. Her phone rang yet again.

"I'm out already!"

"No, it's not that. This Derek guy, he actually has a twin brother. They work together. The Eagles took the wrong person! But now, I need you to go back in and continue the honeytrap. You think you can do that?"

So that's his name... "Yes, of course."

"Alright. Good girl. You're room number is 340, right? Just keep him busy until team C moves in. And be careful. There are Eagle spies everywhere."

She hung up and turned around. Drawing a deep breath, she braced herself to continue the mission she almost failed.

5 comments:

  1. nice
    yet a little confusing to follow
    what is the context?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the confusing aspect. You're not given the full context, so you kind of have to figure it out yourself, which is the fun part. Plus, it makes it more suspenseful and less predictable.


    I feel guilty for not posting for a while, and since I probably don't have enough focus to write more than pointless shorts, you can probably expect some more pointless shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true, I suppose the not-providing-the-whole-details thing works. It's nice to read stories like this. Halalcohol--do you post directly onto blogger? Or do you draft a copy and then edit/revise it on blogger?
    Yaning: It's okay.
    Happens to everyone.
    -guestures towards own blog-
    I'm guilty of that too, as you can tell...

    -gestures to other blog-
    ...and here we have Exhibit B...

    (=

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fast pace of it. I agree with Yaning as well - the confusing is partly what makes it interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Everyone: Thanks for the feedback. It's kind of a motivation to keep writing.
    Also, part of the reason I'm not providing detail is that I don't know them myself. :P Speaking of detail, I chose to be rather lax with it because I feel that this needs to be more plot driven than anything else.

    @ Noctilucence: Sometimes I do that (you can tell because the text is a different font), but in this case, no, I typed directly into Blogger, hence the arbitrary aspect of the story. And I rarely revise. Only if I think its good enough to deserve revision. Lol, I so agree with the comment. It's really hard to keep up.

    ReplyDelete