Monday, December 13, 2010

Chapter 6: Cogent Charade

It's that time of year again.  Mum and dad have gotten the tree up, and it's been beautifully decorated with garlands, ornaments, and lights. Snow is lightly falling outside, and already a dozen carollers have rung our doorbell and bellowed their merry tunes.

I don't know why, but somewhere along the way, Christmas has lost its magic for me. With each passing year, it has become increasingly evident that it is just a charade. At the end of the day, when the celebration finishes, we all go back to normal. When the clock strikes twelve, even the most beautiful dress becomes tattered rags, and the most elaborate carriage turns out to be but a pumpkin. The lonely still ignored, the problems still so big there's no way to patch them up. 

I sit here, on my window ledge. Looking down, looking at the neighbours, two muggle children happily playing in the snow. The sister makes a snow angel, and the brother makes a snowman. They are so happy, so ignorant, so innocent. Do they know what is happening? Will they be the Dark Lord's next victims?

I know so much, but I'd rather not know at all. I should be worrying about Harry, should be helping him figure out what Dumbledore's lessons mean, should be ignoring everything else and just playing the perfect part. I'm so sick of being the sidekick, of being the perfect one, the 'brains' of the Golden Trio. 

So many shoulds, but all I do is keep finding myself thinking about him. Malfoy. He hadn't made a single offensive comment at me for two years now.  Ever since fourth year, it's like he's become somebody else. Quieter. More serious. More...burdened. I can't help wondering, what's happened? Could Harry possibly be right? Could he really be a death eater? If only I were braver, if only I could just ask.

Sometimes, I think he catches me staring at him. Something quickly flickers in his eyes, disgust, understanding? Who am I kidding. Understanding of my need to know what is bothering him? Of my need to be a nosy know-it-all? Yeah right. But always, before I can place the emotion, it disappears. His face becomes as stony as before, and whatever expression his eyes may have betrayed disappears. His gaze becomes glassy obsidian once again. 

Sometimes, I think he wants somebody to ask him. Just so he can finally tell somebody what he's feeling. I long to be that somebody. 

But we both know that I won't. I must keep playing my part perfectly. Be the best actress. Even if I am no longer able to tell what is a lie and what is really me.

Like Christmas, I am a charade.

--------

Oh gosh. That was pretty depressing. And basically all over the place. It's okay, even I think so. Sorry, but I've just had a pretty horrid day, so excuse this pathetic post. By the way, I like the new layout of GU, but could somebody perhaps change some of the colours? It's a little hard to read. 

Grace

17 comments:

  1. Hm, yeah, I thought there might be a problem with that. Which places do you want the colour changed? I did the redesign of the layout right before I slept yesterday, so I might've looked over some parts. Oh, and nice story, but it kinda ruins all the festive spirit that should be going about at this time of year. Although in highschool, there isn't much to think about other than summatives that are due in January and studying for exams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adjusted some of the colours (mostly just made the text darker), but there`s still some stuff, like that thing in the poll that says "votes so far," that still remain weirdly coloured. And don't seem to have a way to be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that's a lot better. Thanks1

    @ Sing Yu: All my chapters were originally intended to be funny, but... Yeah, today really sucked, so I'm sure that if I tried to write a light-hearted post it would suck. So you got this. D;

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear, we need to become more festive and happy, Grace, though that's really not my style of writing. I'll try really hard for the next chapter!

    But other than the sadness going on here, I really liked it! Especially comparing Christmas to a charade... I think it's like that in the "Muggle" world too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe we should change the colour scheme to purple/green or purple/blue? The colours are kind of... BRIGHT right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks...I still feel really sad right now. I just got back from taekwondo, and I basically flipped a toenail and started bleeding halfway through class. And the shiny was there, again. D;

    I actually kind of like the whole blue/orange...Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, ouch. D: And haha @ the shiny guy. Hollister bf much? xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, it's kind of our theme.

    Although there are some parts of the text that you can't change, which is really annoying because the gray is pretty illegible.

    Oooh, I hate nail related injuries because they take forever to heal. : ( [and what shiny?]

    ReplyDelete
  9. No D: I don't like the black on the blue. The white totally looked better. I'm not sure if it's your screens or anything, but everything was fine here. Oh, and the purple doesn't really fit xP But whatever, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So here's a compromise, I guess? I tried making everything as clear as possible, but the comment permalinks are still this messed up turquoise colour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really? Darn >.> 'Cuz my "post a comment" subtitle is turquoise, and so are the dates beneath the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yeah that's turquoise, although it doesn't look that bad. As long as it isn't right next to the orange. But the dates are all this gray-ish colour. It's almost illegible against the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ???? I have no idea what you guys are talking about, so I'll assume that the colours I see are finalized.

    Those TWO last short paragraphs are really good. They have that prose-ending impact. I can never usually make those.

    BTW, where the heck does 2 live? I've met him on the bus twice, and he seems to have been pretty far from Tyrrell.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha. 2? Um, all I know is that he used to take the Finch bus west... O_o

    ReplyDelete
  15. So what the heck was he doing on the east side of the city? Twice?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beats me. Him being two, though, I don't really think I want to know.

    ReplyDelete