Saturday, May 1, 2010

20 Minutes

With all the things that have been going on lately,I haven't been able to find time to post. Until now. So don't worry, I didn't disappear like SOME other people.

Anyways, starting from now, I have exactly 20 minutes before I have to go study music history. Today's topic will be a discussion of why manga and Asian drama watchers should not be discriminated against.

Let's start with manga. The Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines it as "a Japanese comic book or graphic novel." There are many different genres, but I only read one type, yes, that is known as shoujo, defined as "a work intended and primarily written for females. Usually involves a lot of romance and strong character development."

Now for the question. Why are shoujo manga readers discriminated the most? I absolutely do not understand. There are so many good reasons to read shoujo manga! The cheesy story lines and impossibly happy endings always help distract me from terrible Tuesdays, or when I feel down. Also, the constant funny scenarios help people loosen up, and take things less seriously. I bet that if a health study was conducted, manga readers on a whole would be less likely to suffer from pressure related problems. *see exception at end of post.

I really would like to cover manga in greater detail, but I just realized I have one minute left. So I think I'll leave the details to [h.e.n] to deal with later, as she is the true expert.

-I just got an extension! Yay! (Which means I have five more to briefly talk about Asian dramas...hehehe)-

Okay, so um, Asian dramas are basically the same deal. However, they also have something else that is very special. Unlike Western media, most of Asia seems to have a stricter moral code, because as of now, I haven't seem any x-rated activity while watching anything. This mean I can watch drama in peace, without worrying about being flashed, or having to fast forward. Another benefit is that because so many Asian movies and drams are pirated, they appear on various websites, including easy-access sites such as you tube.

Also, they constantly keep you in check with the other side of the world. the majority of our parents and extended family are from Asia, and still live in our home countries. Every once in a while, we may wonder what would have happened if we never came to Canada, or if our parent never came to Canada. These dramas give us a window to daydream, imagine, or laugh at unfortunate things that may have happened to us if we did not emigrate.

Well, my time's up. Take some time to consider things, and check out some manga and dramas. Your spirits will surely be lifted, and then you won't point and laugh at those five girls giggling about the latest volume of Vampire Knight, or something.

*manga and dramas are VERY time consuming. They are not recommended to people who are unable to manage time well, aka procrastinators. they may result in really late nights up trying to complete assignments if abused.

2 comments:

  1. Aha. I have not disappeared like 'SOME other people'. I am merely plotting about what to write next. In the background. Waiting.
    ...
    Waiting.
    Okay, I'll drop the Cullen act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but I have better things to laugh at than manga or dramas. And they do NOT involve Peter Chao, or anything related to him. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete