Monday, May 10, 2010

CA-BA-REEEEEEEET!

What good is sitting, alone in your room? come hear the music play...

Did that song sound familiar? Well, if you attend our school, chances are you've been singing it nonstop for the last two weeks. Did you recognize the lyrics? (hint: search up Liza Minelli.) Did you find it? If you guessed Cabaret, yes, that's correct! Every two years, our school holds a cabaret performance, and this is just happens to be the year. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday this week, parents and family members will be attending a two-hour long show full of dazzling performances. At least, I hope they turn out dazzling.

Are you wondering what a cabaret is right now? Well, wonder no longer. The definition of cabaret is: A restaurant or nightclub providing short programs of live entertainment. Our show will include many acts, and I will list them below.

Not in any particular order, there will be: Chamber Band, Chamber Strings Symphony, Senior Strings Symphony, Choir, Ukulele, class drama, tunes from "Oliver," dance club performances, class dances, black light performances, taekwondo performance, Chinese harp, singing, Bollywood dancing, and a black light performance. On top of this varied program, the audience will be treated to refreshments as they enjoy the show.

In total, more than half the school's population is involved. That is roughly 250 people, all performing an act at some point in the cafeteria/auditorium stage. Of course, a large number of these are gifteds! And I'm proud of that fact. If you are now thinking to yourself-how the HECK will all these kids be organized, HOW THE HECK is right.

For the last 3 weeks, classes have been put on temporary hold, with groups constantly being called to the cafeteria to practice transitioning and to figure out seating plans. Over and over we have sang, and played instruments, and danced.

Today is the day before the performance. Everybody is tired, and sick of being cooped up in the gym all day, waiting to be called for their performance. So tomorrow, when the curtain opens, and the spotlights roam as students begin singing the Cabaret song, please pay your fullest attention to the cast. for we have all worked extremely hard, and sacrificed countless hours of being squished next to people we dislike, and even being yelled at by our vice-principal, just so we can entertain the audience.
And don't mind the several non-smiling faces. give those kids a break, they've gone through a lot in the last three weeks.

Well, the 24 hour countdown has begun, and I will end this post in true cabaret fashion and sing:

It's only a cabaret old chum, AND I LOVE A CABARET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Our performance today wasn't very good, (refering to all the large groups except choir). Especially Senior Strings Symphony. William Tell was a disaster at the beginning because a few people started early and didn't realize it for four bars. And Junkyard Jam with Chamber Band started badly. But it was really fun! I look forward to two or three more performances, as well as the Mac one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, awesome, IE crashed instantaneously as I cliked "Post Comment" so I got pissed for ten seconds thinking that I just wasted 2 minutes, and now I see that my long comment was actually saved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I look forward to joining tomorrow, but I don't look forward to full-day class with no cabaret interruptions. :/

    ReplyDelete