So, I was reading the study material for the All Science Challenge, which is a trivia style competition done in groups of 4, and I came across some very insightful information. Now, I knew that I was no good at geography, but it never occured to me that I didn't even know the number of continents on the Earth!
Question: How many continents are there?
a) 1
b) 2
c) 4
d) 6
e) 7
My answer: e) 7
Book says: "...Pangaea, was fragmented into several pieces and floated apart over geological time from 225 million years ago to present day to form the six continents."
Oh dear, it seems as though the correct answer was d)! That must explain why I answered incorrectly for the next question too!
Question: Name the continents.
My answer: North America, South America, Asia, Europe, Australia, Antarctica, Africa
Book says: North America, South America, Africa, Antarctica, Australia, Asia, India
Oh, my! I had not realised that India was an Australia wannabe and had proceeded to disinherit itself from Asia! And apparently, some decisive Asians had decided to assimilate the Europeans. At least we now know what continent Russia is on. Wait, but something is wrong... I count seven continents either way! That's odd. Maybe India is actually four tenths of a continent and they rounded down...? I really need to review my textbook!
What amazes me is how they managed to find a picture with no Europe, and India marked as a continent. Even more amazing is the person who managed to overlook all this while editing, and possibly more amazing were the authors, or author. Apparently, you can't be good at both science and geography.
No comments:
Post a Comment