Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Tuesday Chronicles

Most of the other Tuesday Chronicles concern a single dismal event that fell on a Tuesday. Those might just be coincidence, you may comment. Well. Terrible Tuesdays strike in all ways, shapes, and forms. Something small like a miscommunication isn't usually very bad luck. But when those things start to pile on top of each other...

You just know it has to be a Tuesday.

The Winter Concert at J.B. Tyrrell

11:30 a.m., during dress rehearsal

"This is so boring... We aren't even playing. Just waiting for the stage crew to set up and for the Strings people to come on stage," my friend remarks, sitting next to me. I nod my head in agreement, but I know that the rehearsal is quickly coming to a close - the empty feeling in my stomach is more than enough to remind me.

"What time is it?" I ask, hoping that it is close to 11:30, when we can go to lunch.
"11:26. And 49 seconds."
I roll my eyes, but smile anyways, because we can leave soon.

As everyone rushes to the auditorium doors, I wait for the aisles to clear - I don't feel like getting trampled today. As I wait to pack away my instrument, I notice one of my friends a couple of rows in front, who seemed to be having some sort of trouble. I leave my mouthpiece, instrument, and sheet music in the now deserted row, and walk over to see if I can help.

It turns out that she had been feeling sick all morning, and had just vomited. It would be funny, if the situation wasn't so serious. We help her get to the washroom so she can clean up. It's evident that she'll have to go home. She stays in the washroom stall for a while, calming down. Two head back to school with our instruments, while the rest of us waited with her.

This isn't even the unlucky part - of course, it's unfortunate that she was sick at all. When I return to the row with my music and mouthpiece, they've vanished. Please tell me I put it with the case, I silently plead to myself. Or maybe, someone else took them for me. I don't even care about the music anymore. I can always get another copy. I need the mouthpiece! The concert is today.

As we return to school, I forget about my missing mouthpiece and music. I convince myself that I will find it, or that someone else picked it up for me.

6:45 p.m., in the warm up room

"I hate Tuesdays!"

"I still think it's just coincidence."

"Then explain why I had to lose my mouthpiece on my music today of all days! I even knew that something like this would happen, just not this specific event. Now, what do I do? I don't have my mouthpiece!"

"Go borrow one from someone else."

"No one else plays the French Horn. And it's not like I can use a trumpet or baritone mouthpiece, or something."

"Uh. Ask Ms. C."

"Eh....... Fine. She won't be happy. I've already had to ask her for music. How much worse can this day be?"

"I still don't think Tuesdays are unlucky. Maybe it's because you think something bad is going to happen, so then you anticipate it, and when it does happen, y-"

"But the worst things happen only on Tuesdays. Like my sprained ankle. And infected cut. And missing the bus. And THIS. They've never happened before, or since, for that matter, since Tuesday."

"Whatever. Now go borrow a mouthpiece."

"Well, I'd better prepare myself to become an object of annoyance."

"What?"

"Nevermind. Go and practise with your mouthpiece."


Thursday, Two Days After the Concert

3:02 p.m., school is dismissed

I close my locker door with a slam and quickly click the lock with one hand, the other holding my bag and jacket. I squish out from between Toothpick [Ugh. Stupid locker blocker. Idiot midget. Well, he used to be. Now he's taller than me. Just like most of the other guys. What's wrong with you people?! Stop growing! It makes us feel bad! Especially when we have to look UP to talk to you.] and H.S. and start walking towards the entrance. Or exit. Same difference.

All of a sudden, Al comes up to me, and suddenly, I remember that he had been there when Eddie had vomited, and had brought my instrument back to the school. I know what he is going to tell me before I even look at him.

He's holding my mouthpiece in his hand.

I feel like hitting my head on the locker door I had just slammed shut.

2 comments:

  1. Wait... who's Al? Other than that... xD to Tuesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh. A.W. I used it before we used initials to distinguish him from Snail, so I guess the name is staying.

    ReplyDelete