Monday, March 8, 2010

Oddly Infuriating: Product Descriptions

I am now attempting to start a series of unusual things that annoy me, that I would assume most other people are fine with, or don't find quite as bad. First up: Package descriptions.



You know how things like bags of chips or cookies sometimes have a description on the back of the packaging, which describes the product? (E.g. "These *insert object here* were made with pure *insert ingredient here* for that great, fresh taste!) Yeah, well I compulsively read those over and over again, even though I can expect to be really ticked off afterwards.

Certain companies like to use the exact same message for every type or flavour of the product. I just find it so annoying when something says "These Sour Cream and Onion flavour potato chips are made with premium quality potatoes fried in pure sunflower oil for that extra crispy, fresh taste!" and then "Sour Cream and Onion" is replaced with "BBQ" or "Sea Salt and Vinegar". It gives me a very strong impression of laziness. How much time does it take to write an extra sentence? I’m not yet at the point where I would consider not buying a product because of it, but this would affect my quality rating. Is there anyone else who feels this way or something similar to it?

1 comment:

  1. Oooh. I have a lot of randomly OCD moments too! Like how I can't stand to have mechanical pencils with matching colour caps. You know, the part that holds the eraser and is a clip-thingy? I switch all the tops of my mechanicals pencils so that none of them have the same colour as their cap.

    ReplyDelete