Sunday, March 21, 2010

Oddly Infuriating: Save the Whales

I recently read an article about Lance Armstrong's battle with cancer. Yes, he is still talking about it, and how it affected him and made him want to help others... And how he didn't really care about it before he was diagnosed... He even said he'd rather have cancer again than win the Tour de France.

Ok, PLEASE. Just shut it.

Now I have absolutely nothing against Armstrong, but it feels like being told to go to bed at 7:00 in the summer when I hear the exact same cliche messages and exaggerations over and over again. "Don't do drugs", "Global warming is bad", "Count your blessings". Whether it be volunteers coming to our schools to talk about animals and how they are losing their habitats, or celebrities donating to charity, these things simply don't mean anything anymore. They are just so expected that nobody cares. Or at least I don't. It is just not possible for someone who's never experienced or seen them to relate to these things, and once they are practised or seen enough, then they become integrated into society (what I hope to do with sniffing people). And I'm glad for that. If I had a dollar a day for everything I could be worrying about and trying to do, a) I'd have a VERY sad life, whether meaningful or not, and b) I'd be richer than Carlos Slim after a while, who recently overthrew Gates (ha!) in the Forbes list of wealthiest people. Maybe the day will come when I'm in these situations, but I'd rather worry later than now.

No comments:

Post a Comment