You know, how sometimes, you have a very specific way of doing things? Maybe you need to organize your papers in a special order, or you like to prepare your food just the right way. Maybe you have a specific way of eating food, like eating the toppings or sauce first.
In fact, some foods are meant to be eaten part by part. Oreos, for example. I mean, who hasn't tried a Oreo lick race at least once? [If you haven't, you need to get out more. :] Most chocolates and other treat-like things are pretty tasty if you eat them bit by bit, too.
Have you caught on yet?
Chicken, cinnamon buns, coffee crisp, bubble tea, yogurt, salads, eggs, cereal [with milk], soups, bananas, oranges, pasta, girl guide cookies, and almost every other food you can think of, I will eat in layers.
Some of these aren't really that odd. A lot of people eat fruit bottom yogurt without mixing it (which is what you're SUPPOSED to do) and I know a few people who unravel their cinnamon buns when eating them.
But, see, I go to more extremes. I dissect my food. Minus the examination...
Chicken: I don't mean the kind with breading (is that what you call it? The crispy stuff on disgustingly oily deep fried stuff?), just plain chicken. I separate it into little strips, and eat the strips one by one. Which sometimes means I'll take forever to eat one.
Salad: I eat the lettuce, then tomatoes, then cucumbers, then whatever else is in it. [E.g. apples, meat. ]
Eggs: I always eat the white, then the yolk, unless it's scrambled.
Bananas: They're naturally split down their middle in 3 parts, so I eat each naturally split section individually.
Oranges: No, I do not mean "by layers" as in peeling the orange. That's lame. I mean eating the skin covering each slice first, then eating the fruity part inside. Similar to peeling grape skins, since you [generally] eat both parts.
Girl Guide cookies: I specifically mean the chocolate ones with a mint filling. I eat the cookie at the bottom, then scrape off the chocolate, then eat the mint filling.
A diagram of how Yaning is planning on devouring the world. Layer by layer.
Interestingly enough, for most of the things I eat by layers, I eat parts I don't like as much first. Like I'm saving the "best for last."
Huh. That's very insightful... I only hope my OCD-ish way of doing it doesn't mean anything...
~Yaning

Oh, I save the best for last too. I hate it when I save food in my dreams, because as soon as I move on, I forget about it and it disappears and I don't get to eat it.
ReplyDeleteUGH. You and your dreams.
ReplyDelete*mutters darkly to self*
Speaking of oranges, Hannah has a very strange way of eating them. Instead of splitting them up into the clearly marked sections in which they naturally grow (never doubt nature), she BITES into the orange, demolishing its intricate structure and possibly squirting out more orange juice than need be. Me and Cookie Monster have been trying to teach her in the skilled arts of Orange-Eating... But this young grasshopper is too stubborn.
ReplyDeleteAin't that right, Hannah?
:)
And at Yaning's comment about saving the best for last, I do that too. I think it's because I want to end off the meal with the best-tasting thing so I don't have an icky aftertaste. Sometimes I also ration my food: make sure I eat one spoonful of mashed potatoes per five peas, and so on. I've been doing it since I was a toddler... For as long as I can remember, actually.
ReplyDeleteHuh.
Yeah! That's so true! I do it for the after taste. And I do the ratio thing too! Except that's just so I don't feel guilty about eating all the good things and leaving garbage for everyone else.
ReplyDeleteHannah! How could you! Orange segments practically scream out "seperate me!". That's like unpeeling a banana and biting into the middle, then working your way sideways.