Sunday, February 7, 2010

Self Study

One of our very first articles here at Giftees United was "The Meaning of Gifted". Halalcohol sure summed up the main points and facts about the entire Gifted population. But another thing to remember are the somewhat different personalities Gifted students have. A few fellow classmates of mine, for example, have a tendency to create random new words and catch phrases that they use to the point where it comes into ordinary language in the two classes. My personality, as many people have pointed out, seems to have some "different" aspects to it as well.

For one thing, I have been labelled many things, such as "paranoid", "having inferiority disorder", "klepto(maniac)", "OCD (Obssessive Compulsive Disorder)", "sneaky", "scary", "ninja", among other things. I've done recent searches on the web about my own personalities, and I've found quite a few interesting things. For one, this is what I found on a brief Wikipedia search for "kleptomaniac".

"Kleptomania is the condition of not being able to resist the urge to collect or hoard things. People with this disorder are compelled to steal things, generally objects of little or no significant value"... "may never stop" ... "likely to have a comorbid condition, specifically paranoid"..."usually thought of as part of the OCD spectrum."

From here on, I decided to go onto Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder.

"Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) is a disorder which involves an obsession with perfection, rules, and organization." ... "feel anxious when they perceive that things are not right"..."routines and rules for ways of doing things, whether for themselves or their families." ... "preoccupation with orderliness, parsimony (frugality), obstinacy (rigidity and stubbornness), details, rules, lists, and schedules."..."being very inflexible in their beliefs; showing perfectionism that interferes with completing a task; focused on being productive with their time; being very conscientious; having rigid ethics; hoarding items that may no longer have value; and a reluctance to trust a work assignment or task to someone else for fear that their standards will not be met."..."obsessive need for cleanliness. Those that do not show this tendency are sometimes good at setting up systems to maintain cleanliness, but may not follow through because of other "more important" priorities. E.x., the need to get a good grade or finish a project at work might cause the OCPD person to have a quite messy and unorganized home...

...But if that same person was suddenly unemployed or finished with other activities, he or she could very well start becoming obsessed with cleanliness as other activities take up less time."

These two psychological "disorders", I found to sum my personality up quite well. I bolded and italicized the portions I found particularly true. Some interesting things I learned today, huh.

7 comments:

  1. Hehehe...
    "morality"
    "ethics"

    And I find a lot parallels in the OCD definition... Like hoarding things that no longer have value. >.> I don't even want to count many collections I have. Although I guess my coin collection is of some value. But my produce stickers are definitely not. [You know, those stickers with the 4 digit numbers that come on your fruits? Yeah, those.]

    Also, do you mind if I edit out some parts (like that greek thingy) so that it's shorter? I'm sure a lot of people wont want to read through the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, guess what? That's TOO bad for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And TOO bad for you, because I changed some things anyway. Not much, though. Not enough that you'd notice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean how you cut the list of conditions off at paranoid?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm removing superfluous language.

    Did you know that was a criterion on the TOPS teacher evaluation?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No idea. How is the picture in the article? I guess it can't be bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The picture is fine. Messy, too.

    ReplyDelete